Copyright Notice

All images on this site are copyright of Rebecca Stonitsch and Simply J Photography. Please do not use any images without written consent.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Lifestyle Photography

Lifestyle photography is becoming more and more popular to those families who value preserving their memories through photographs. Now trust me, I have taken my kids for their own fair share of posed portraits at traditional studios! But, such sessions have not only been frustrating for me and my kids, but I often walk away feeling like something was missing. They may have caught a great smile or two and even gotten my kids to look directly at the camera, but is that really what my memories of them are all about? Shooting on location with families is one step to capturing the real "them", and I strongly encourage it! And I admit that I am a sucker for a good fabric backdrop, props, or a great location! However, I think shooting people in places and situations where they are just being "them" and doing what they "do" has a lot of value too! Birthday parties are a great example! We hire photographers to take a "one year portrait" but what about the pictures of our children at their first birthday party surrounded by friends and different generations of their families? ... PRICELESS!!! Not to mention, too often I myself run around trying to run my child's party and trying to capture all the moments on camera only to realize later that I missed out on just enjoying and taking in that life moment with my child! Let me encourage you to consider other ways of capturing your child's early years through lifestyle photography! It can occur at a party or even a favorite place like a children's museum or library!

Here are a couple of pics I captured of my great-nephew at Easter. Isn't he just adorable?!?! And let me point out these were not "posed" shots at all ... just captured as he hunted for his eggs :) Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment